Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The snow is on it's way...

And a Happy New Year to you all :-)

Apologies for my absence from the blog. It's been a tremendously hectic holiday period here which we're only just recovering from, not least the high mucous quotient that my family seems to have endured with the winter colds. Yes, Winter is here once more. I spent a good hour this morning chopping logs to chuck into the stove (yes, very provincial life I lead, I know!)

The image above is from a comic strip that I started called "Snowbored", featuring a sociopathic polar bear and an infuriatingly optimistic penguin. Would still like to get back to this if time allows but... time doesn't allow. I like the characters, and I think this initial strip perfectly captured their personas and where the strip might head to. And yes, I know they're from opposite poles but there's a reason to that particular madness.

Spent this evening scanning loads of my paintings from my originals portfolio for my Bada Bling website (which should be going online sometime soon). Result of that is there's more original artwork now for me to start putting up on the blog so WOO and indeed HOO!

I have some big events coming up in the diary over the next month. This Saturday I'm going to be attending a Royal Television Society dinner and awards night in Newcastle, where I'll be presenting the Best Student Animation Award. And at the beginning of February I'm going to be appearing at the Animex festival in Middlesbrough, UK, where I'll be holding character design workshops and doing a talk on getting projects pitched and commissioned. Well, at least I'll be talking from my own experience. If you can come along I'd heartily recommend it, it's a terrific festival. Details available on their website.

Bada Bling!

22 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Hey I recognise this !! Didn't I stitch this together once ?

I really like these characters ! Sorry to hear you were snot well !!

Anonymous said...

Jo Bling

Have you got an email address as Ive got a few questions I wouldnt mind asking

Bristol Andy

Jo Bling said...

For anyone who needs to email me, the address is frankscat@hotmail.com

Glazey, you did indeed. I have my brand spanking new A3 scanner now with which to scan my artwork with. That said, there are still some pieces that need stitching together by the magic of photoshop... :-)

sheriffmitchell said...

Frank Scat at hotmail. I'm saying nothing. Happy New Year and all that.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I've told Curtis that somebody would suss him other job through that mail !

Anonymous said...

great characters.
congratulations on all the up-coming
activity.

The workshop should be a fun one!
-brian

Belf said...

I love Snowbored! There's a distinct lack of funny 'funnies' these days - I'm working on one myself that I hope to get your opinions on at Animex! :)

M.

Anonymous said...

Your photo on the Animex site is rather sinister!!

I. N. J. Culbard said...

It took you an hour to chop logs for your stove??? How big is your stove????

Jo Bling said...

Sheriff - I know mate. We've had this discussion before aint we? :-D You coming down to Animex then?

Gobeetsa - cheers fells, yes, I'm looking forward to it. I know already that half the people there will be better draughtsmen than me, mind you!

Belf - look forward to seeing what you're working on, I'll be easy to find don't worry

Cassie - that was a publicity shot for my publishers I think. That's the "dust jacket" photo!

Ian - the stove isn't that big. However, the wood pile around it (that is usually chockablock with timber) was the thing that was depleted. It's taken a hammering in the cold weather for sure...

jimmynock said...

This ones funny Jo, it reminds me of me and my big brother. I am the penguin, which has no reflection on the outfit from the photo to the right

Andrew Glazebrook said...

How many of these strips did you do ?
Where they for anything special publication wise or were you just toying with this idea ?

Jo Bling said...

Jimmy - your big bro sounds like a meanie then in that case, you poor confused pseudo-religious-crossdressing illustrator you... ;-D


Glazey - just did the one. Maybe I should do more? I wrote the thumbscripts for twenty of them straight off the bat.

dragonhead said...

LOL! That was a great strip.

Glad to have another update.

I know this is way in the future, but do you have any idea if you will be going to the Red Stick festival thing this year?

sheriffmitchell said...

I'd like to come to Animex but thats the second week in my new job and what with buying a house and spending a month in Japan in April I just can't afford the money or time off. Nightmare.

paulhd said...

Nice strip. Wish I could go to a couple of those events, btu finding time to nip round the shops for a pint of milks hard enough. Look forward to seeing more artwork.

Anonymous said...

no reply?

Jo Bling said...

Red Stick festival - I believe I've been invited back but am awaiting confirmation as are all the speakers there.

Sheriff - Japan?! Nice one my good sir, I'm utterly envious now. Save your money and bring back some nice toys!

Paul - I hear you. You feeling a little stretched I take it? :-D

Anonymous/Bristol Andy - you'll have to bear with mith with replies to blog-related queries fella. I'm away from the studio frequently working in London and Manchester on production so as you can no doubt imagine that has to take priority. I struggle to get back to business, close friends and family on email sometimes. If you can be patient. Cheers

Adrian Ropp said...

Love the strip. Angry polar bears and cutesy penguins are a lethal combinations.

paulhd said...

Yeah, stretched is about right!

Marcos Mateu said...

That's sooo cute 'n funny!
Nice work!

Jo Bling said...

Adrian - hullo sir! Glad you like - I recall a Far Side cartoon featuring a penguin-eating polar bear disguised as a penguin. Class!

Paul - it gets better matey, I promise!

Marcos - cheers ears, you're welcome